Long-term exposure to mold is associated with a variety of negative side effects on health, including potentially serious allergic reactions and infections. This is why it’s so important for you to be proactive about avoiding mold growth in your home. Don’t just wait for signs of mold to arise. Rather, stay on top of regular mold testing and take immediate action if those inspections yield evidence of even a small amount of mold.
Here’s a quick overview of what you should know about the long-term effects of mold exposure in Aspen, CO.
The potential side effects
In most cases, the side effects associated with mold will be relatively mild, at least to start with. It’s over a long period of time that those effects really begin to become serious and harmful.
Mold sensitivity usually begins by taking the form of throat irritation, wheezing, coughing, nasal congestion, skin irritation or eye irritation. People who have mold allergies who experience a prolonged exposure to the substance are more likely to have more severe reactions. And for those who have chronic lung illnesses, compromised immune systems or other types of serious pre-existing conditions, the effects of mold exposure will be most severe, including significant infections.
Numerous studies have linked long-term indoor mold exposure with the development of upper respiratory tract symptoms and illnesses, including chronic illnesses and conditions. Even otherwise healthy people will begin to develop a cough or wheeze with a certain level of exposure. More susceptible individuals who have been exposed for a long time to damp indoor environments will have an increased risk of developing asthma.
People with allergies are more likely to have severe symptoms than otherwise healthy people. They may start to feel as though they have the flu or pneumonia, and could develop chest colds, headaches, fevers, difficulty breathing and frequent coughing. In some cases, long-term effects can include memory loss, insomnia, confusion and difficulty concentrating, as well as the potential development of depression or anxiety. Some studies have even linked long-term mold exposure to unusual symptoms like numbness in the hands and feet, muscle cramps, sensitivity to light and loss of hair.
Certain types of molds are more dangerous than others. Black molds are the most dangerous, as they are toxigenic, meaning they produce substances that will cause ill health effects with exposure. There are also green-black molds, which are most commonly found on paper, dust, lint and fiberboard, and can develop after water leaks or with exposure to condensation.
Ultimately, it’s nearly impossible to completely avoid mold. It’s going to be present in small amounts pretty much everywhere, and there’s not much you can do about that, even when you keep up with cleaning and property maintenance. In these normal trace amounts, it is not dangerous—it’s when the buildup becomes significant that the health risks increase.
For more information about how you can protect yourself against the effects of long-term mold exposure, contact an experienced mold remediation and testing company in Aspen, CO like HealthSafe Inspections Inc.
Categorised in: Mold
This post was written by Writer