Burning asbestos in Aspen, CO can put you at risk for a variety of health concerns. Due to these risks, it’s important to know how to protect yourself against asbestos after a fire in Aspen, CO. Proper precautions are essential. Educate yourself with the following guide.
Asbestos is a mineral that is found in many building materials. For many years, the dangers of this mineral were unknown, and it was commonly used in roof adhesives, cement sheets, drywall and floor tiles. It was also frequently used for insulation in walls, wiring and attics. It was chosen for its durability and fire resistance.
While considered safe if they are undisturbed, asbestos fibers that are released into the air are toxic. If a person swallows or inhales asbestos fibers, they can lodge in the body permanently and cause damage, including cancer.
Keep in mind that asbestos fibers aren’t necessarily detectable by the human eye. Since they are microscopic, a small speck may contain thousands of asbestos fibers. This makes exposure to asbestos particularly hazardous. After a fire, a homeowner returning to the property might not recognize the danger.
If you suffer from a property fire, it’s important to recognize the risks posed by burning asbestos in Aspen, CO. If you decide to sift through the site to recover items or assess damage, it’s essential that you avoid inhaling asbestos fibers. Homes built prior to 1986 are most likely to contain asbestos, but those built after this date could still contain these fibers. Don’t simply assume your home is asbestos-free. Always have the property tested to protect against asbestos after a fire in Aspen, CO.
Firefighters may help with this situation by using water to moisten the surroundings and any asbestos present. This can reduce the chances that the fibers will float through the air for potential inhalation. Water mixed with another agent, such as soap, can also keep the asbestos circulation under control. However, property owners may not be able to return to their homes until after materials have dried out. Owners may also disturb materials during their visit, which can stir up asbestos fibers.
To ensure your safety, don’t take chances with burning asbestos in Aspen, CO. Always contact a professional to test the area for these fibers.
As an additional precaution, use proper safety gear when visiting a property after a fire. Do not rely on simple face masks, as asbestos fibers can make their way through these. Instead of a dust mask, use a half-face respirator that is approved by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Wear disposable coveralls and protective gloves as well.
Do you need a professional consultation to properly deal with burning asbestos in Aspen, CO? Contact your local environmental consulting firm, HealthSafe Inspections Inc. We specialize in asbestos, mold, radon gas and more. Our experts can complete on-site investigations and sampling and make appropriate recommendations for remediations and steps to safely proceed. Reach out to us today with any questions about asbestos or to schedule your post-fire services.
Categorised in: Asbestos Testing
This post was written by Writer