You’re probably aware that mold can pose a health hazard if it is present in your home. So, how can you make sure it’s not invited into your space? To prevent mold growth, use the following tips from expert providers of mold consulting in Aspen, CO.
When you follow these guidelines, you will be less likely to experience mold in your surroundings. With a few simple steps, you can keep your environment safe, dry and mold-free:
- Act quickly: If you experience a water leak, don’t wait to make repairs. It will only get worse, and the moisture it generates can cause mold growth. If you can dry an area affected by a leak within 24 hours, it probably will not grow mold. If carpet or furniture cannot be dried, remove it completely within 24 hours.
- Develop good laundry habits: Remove wet clothes from the washer right away. Set a timer if you need a reminder. Also, don’t leave damp clothes or towels around the house. Lastly, make sure your dryer vents to the outdoors, rather than to the walls or the attic.
- Minimize mold in the bathroom: Don’t install carpet in the bathroom (or the kitchen). Turn on the exhaust fan when you shower. After you shower, dry the shower walls.
- Maximize airflow: Arrange furniture so that it does not block vents or air returns. When cooking, use an exhaust fan. If you have a crawlspace, basement or attic, make sure these areas are well ventilated at all times.
- Establish healthy humidity levels: The ideal indoor humidity level is between 30 and 50 percent. Invest in an affordable humidity meter to monitor the levels in your home. If you experience levels above 60 percent, consider using a dehumidifier or other methods to avoid creating a mold-friendly environment in your home.
- Keep things clean and dry: Empty air conditioning drip pans frequently. Dust and vacuum regularly and remove any mold present in houseplants. Keep your gutters clear of obstructions. If you notice any moisture accumulating on pipes, walls or windows, dry the surface right away and identify any sources of moisture to prevent future exposure.
- Don’t bleach it: If you experience mold growth, do not try to clean it with bleach. This is a corrosive chemical and is ineffective at treating mold. In fact, its high water content can encourage additional growth.
- Contact an expert: If you discover mold growth in your home, it’s best to contact your local providers of mold consulting in Aspen, CO to determine how to proceed. Attempting to handle the problem yourself can worsen the situation and cause health hazards. Don’t take chances—let the pros handle it.
Are you experiencing mold issues in your home? For expert mold consulting in Aspen, CO, contact the pros at HealthSafe Inspections Inc. Our indoor environmental firm offers on-site investigation and sampling, report writing, recommendations and post-remediation verification. We consult and test for a variety of indoor contaminants, such as allergens, asbestos, bacteria, mold, radon gas and more. After an initial consultation, we are able to determine your best course of action to help make your home healthy and safe. Get in touch with us today to learn more!
Categorised in: Mold
This post was written by Writer