Preventing Mold in the Laundry RoomSeptember 20, 2018 2:00 am Leave your thoughts
There are certain parts of each home that naturally attract mold propagation. In most homes, the bathrooms and laundry rooms are most likely to facilitate mold growth. Mold typically thrives anywhere that is damp and dark. While it’s a common misconception that mold only grows in cool environments, that’s only true for certain strains of this common fungus—different types of mold enjoy warmer or cooler environments.
Laundry rooms are often one of the most likely rooms in the house to attract mold propagation. While mold typically grows on wallpaper and drywall, it may even begin to grow on carpeting, tile and clothing, if it’s left stationary long enough. If you already have mold growing in your laundry room, investing in mold remediation in Aspen, CO may be necessary.
Preventing mold from growing in the first place, however, is the most effective way to keep your laundry room a healthy and safe environment. Here are a few ways that you can prevent mold growth in your laundry room:
- Dehumidify: One of the primary ways you can preemptively strike against mold growth is by investing in a dehumidifier. Installing a dehumidifier in your laundry room will allow you to remove excess moisture from the air that may be caused by the process of washing your clothes, or by the presence of your washing machine. There are both permanent dehumidifiers, as well as portable units, widely available.
- Examine for water damage: You should regularly be checking your laundry room floors and walls for evidence of water damage. Even the smallest leak from your washing machine’s connective hoses, for instance, may be causing water damage to your flooring—over time, this weakened, wet wood or drywall becomes the perfect site for mold growth.
- Dry your clothes: You should never let your wet clothes linger in your laundry room. Wet clothing elevates the ambient humidity. Additionally, most clothing fabrics are perfect vehicles for mold growth. As soon as your washing machine is finished running, you should move your clothing over to the dryer. Be sure to leave your washing machine door open whenever it’s not in use to air it out.
- Use desiccants: Desiccants, like silica gel or silica beads, can help you soak up ambient humidity and also remove pools of water. Placing desiccants under leaking pipes is a great temporary way to prevent mold growth while you wait for appliance service. Desiccants can be poisonous to children and pets, however, so be sure to use them with extreme caution.
- Clean your appliances: Mold thrives in dirty environments, and because of this, it’s typical for mold to begin growing under or on appliances that haven’t been regularly cleaned. Routinely cleaning your dryer and washing machine can go a long way toward preventing mold growth in your home.
Since 2005, HealthSafe Inspections, Inc. has been a trusted provider of mold remediation in Aspen, CO. We offer high-quality testing and removal services for clients throughout the region. Reach out to one of our friendly professionals to learn more today.
Categorised in: Mold
This post was written by Writer