Can Mold Irritate Your Skin?

April 19, 2018 10:37 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

No one wants to find small black spots on the bottom of the shower curtain or dark patches hiding under the sink. Household mold is always a disturbing thing to discover lurking. The fungus seemingly manages to grow practically anywhere. Mold isn’t just unsightly—it can also be dangerous. Mold can threaten both the structural integrity of your home and the health of those living inside of the space. Exposure to mold spores can result in serious health problems, including severe skin irritation.

Knowing the effects of mold on the skin can help you determine the level of threat it poses to you and your loved ones.

Can mold trigger skin irritation?

In short, yes. Allergic reactions occur when a person’s immune system has a response to a harmful substance, such as mold. The body will then produce a high number of antibodies in an attempt to rid the body of the threat. This can cause inflammation, swelling and skin irritation as the body fights off the threat. Mold exposure can cause rash and hives all over the skin. The rash is incredibly itchy, but scratching the area will only lead to more problems, as it causes the skin to break and become more susceptible to infection. Signs of infection include redness, swelling, fever, discharge and pain.

Who is affected by skin irritation from mold?

Growing mold releases spores into the air that can easily be inhaled without a person ever knowing it. It can then trigger breathing or asthma problems. Young children are at even more of a risk when it comes to mold exposure. Infants and toddlers ingest more dust and mold spores due to the amount of time they spend on or near the floor. Ingesting high amounts of mold spores can cause skin irritation, and may even negatively affect their motor skill and memory development.

How to treat skin irritation caused by mold exposure

Speak to a doctor as soon as you notice any signs of skin irritation. They will then be able to recommend a combination of antibiotics to clear up the infection. Hospitalization could be required if the infection has become too severe or if it isn’t responding to antibiotics. Over-the-counter antihistamines can be used if the rash hasn’t caused an infection yet. Try taking a cool bath with colloidal oatmeal or baking soda to alleviate any itching.

Prevent mold exposure with mold remediation in Aspen, CO

A professional can help you improve the air quality in your home and eliminate the threat of skin irritation. They will inspect the structure for any signs of mold before eliminating the problem and taking the necessary steps to keep it from happening again.

Call HealthSafe Inspections Inc. today to put a stop to mold before it puts your family at risk. We offer a variety of property testing services, in addition to mold remediation in Aspen, CO, to keep your home safe and habitable. Get in touch to begin the process of working with our team!

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *