Mold: Your Guide to the Fungus

August 15, 2016 7:51 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

Finding patches of mold under the kitchen sink, on pipes or in the corners of the basement can leave you feeling uneasy and as though your home has been invaded. Not only is mold unappealing and unsightly, it can also make you or your loved one’s sick — especially for those suffering from allergies or asthma. It’s important to know what exactly you are dealing with if you find mold lurking within your home or backyard.

To help you better combat a festering mold problem here is your guide to the pesky fungus that has found its way into your home:

What is mold?

Mold can essentially be found everywhere. Mold, which is a type of fungus, can come in a variety of colors including black, white orange, green or purple. Despite its negative associations, mold is natural and has an important role in the decomposition process as it works to break down plants, dead leaves and trees.

Mold is completely safe in nature, as it’s usually only in small amounts. Unfortunately, mold can grow into something more dangerous when it has access to a damp spot in your home or yard. When mold grows on a damp surface, such as a pipe leaking or wall behind the sink, it starts to release spores into the air, which can easily be inhaled by anyone.

Where is mold most commonly found?

It doesn’t matter how much time you spend cleaning your bathroom: it is the top hot spot for mold in your home. Mold loves to grow in damp spaces with little ventilation, such as a shower. Mold also loves other moisture heavy areas like the basement or any spaces around plumbing pipes. These areas could easily be covered in mold without proper preventative measures and care.

Is my family safe with mold in the home?

Mold isn’t dangerous for most people. On the other hand, anyone with a mold allergy will experience some pretty adverse reactions if they inhale or touch mold spores. Symptoms can include runny nose, sneezing, skin rash and bloodshot eyes. Much like any allergy, the more serious the allergy is the worse you can expect the reaction to be.

Individuals with asthma should also avoid coming into contact with mold as it could result in an asthma attack. Inhaling mold spores can also affect more susceptible populations, like the elderly and children. Those suffering from chronic lung disease and a compromised immune system should take precautions to avoid coming into contact with mold.

How to get rid of a mold problem

Attempting to eliminate a mold problem on your own can be frustrating. You don’t have time to spend hours trying to find the source of the issue. Leave the guesswork to the professionals at HealthSafe Inspections. The expert team at HealthSafe Inspections can easily perform a series of tests to identify the nature and extent of your mold problem during the initial mold consultation in Pitkin County, CO. We’ll also provide a follow-up visit to verify that any problem spots have been eliminated. Call us today to schedule a mold consultation in Pitkin County, CO!

Categorised in:

This post was written by Writer

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *