Why You Should Test Your Home’s Air Quality: Tips from a Company Specializing in Mold Testing in Pitkin County, CO

July 4, 2016 9:03 pm Published by Leave your thoughts

When the air in your home is filled with toxins, it can wreak havoc on your lungs and your immune system. Most people think of air pollution as something you only need to worry about while you’re outside, but the truth is that there are plenty of pollutants that can pose dangers to us in our very own homes.

For this reason, it is important to engage in air and mold testing in Pitkin County, CO whenever you begin to suspect there is something wrong in your home—or even if it’s just been a while since your last inspection. Here are just a few of the most common pollutants indoors that you might discover from such a test:

  • Combustion: Pollutants such as carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide and more can be formed from combustion if there is not proper ventilation in your home. Carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous, as it is a truly silent killer. It cannot be smelled or seen, and poses symptoms commonly associated with other sicknesses, such as nausea, headaches, loss of consciousness. The only way to detect it is with CO alarms near appliances and bedrooms.
  • Radon: Radon is the second-largest cause of lung cancer in the United States, and leads to the deaths of approximately 21,000 people in the nation every single year. Soil contains harmless amounts of radon, but when it seeps through gaps in the foundation into a building, it can build up to become unsafe. Special kits must be used to detect the presence of radon in your home.
  • Asbestos: Asbestos exposure most commonly occurs in older buildings that used it as a building material. Asbestos is only dangerous when it becomes airborne, so if you know there is asbestos in your building, the best option is to just leave it alone. However, if that cannot be avoided, you need the assistance of a specialist to safely remove it.
  • Mildew and mold: Fungi are major polluters of the air, and they grow particularly well in warm and wet conditions. Mold and mildew are most commonly found in bathrooms and basements, but if enough moisture is present, they can easily spread throughout the home. Symptoms include congestion, wheezing, rashes and more. Mold is dangerous not just because of health concerns, but because it can also weaken the structural integrity of your home. The best way to prevent mold from growing is to run dehumidifiers and fans to keep the air dry.
  • Dust and droppings: Many buildings have pests that leave behind droppings and body parts that can contribute to dust buildup and a general decrease in air quality. Good ventilation can help to clear up allergens, but in some cases, pest control is going to be the best option to remove the offending pests from your home.

It is extremely important to ensure you constantly have good quality air to breathe in your home to stay healthy and happy. For more information about mold testing in Pitkin County, CO, contact us today at HealthSafe Inspections, Inc.

Categorised in:

This post was written by admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *